Student Evaluation & New babblewords

The thread on "holistic" teaching brought to mind that there has been
a shift in edu-babble words. It used to be "paradigm" then shifted to
"portfolios (read authentic evaluation)" and now, at least in
California has become "rubric." There are at least 20 workshops on
"rubrics for evaluation." The following was in the Nov. 14th edition
of the San Jose Mercury News. It contain evalution statement made of
British Royal Navy officers. It seems we could apply these equally
well to some of our students. Assuming we had the appropriate rubric.

1. I would not breed from this officer (student).
2. The officer (student) is really not so much of a has-been, but more
of a definitely won't be.
3. When she opens her mouth, it seems that this is only to changer
whichever foot was previously in there.
4. He would be out of his depth in a puddle.
5. This young lad has delusions of adequacy.
6. Technically sound, socially impossible.
7. Since my last report (card) he has reached rock bottom, and has
started to dig.
8. She sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to
achieve them.
9. Works well when under constant supervision and cornered like a rate
in a trap.
10. This man (student) is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot.

Ray Rogoway, Independence High, San Jose, CA