Magnetic monopoles

While talking about potential energy in class yesterday, the subject of
magnetic poles came up. I seem to remember hearing about research that
was being done on finding a magnetic monopole, and I also remember several
of Larry Niven's stories using magnetic monopoles as a plot device.

Does anyone know the current state of monopole research? Hypothetical
question: If you had a bag full of monopoles, what could you do with it?

Mike

Michael Porter
Gloucester High School
Gloucester, Ontario, Canada