Re: percent success

Donald bedevils us with a heresy:

Let me play the Devil's advocate here (again!). Isn't it somewhat arrogant
of us to assume that *everyone* needs to know *something* about *our*
academic field?

I would have this question unasked. Physics is as important as music in
my life, as it should be in everyone's life. I know that Donald does not
lack the same evangelical zeal all of us in this group share. I listened
to an interview of Ondras Schiff (pianist) last night and noticed exactly
the same implicit assumption that motivated him, that what he did is the
noblest activity possible for a man (person) and the premise was scarcely
worth discussing. Right on, Ondras! I support you in your view, however
myopic others might find it, and I'm sure you would reciprocate if I were
to tell you mine is the same, only regarding communicating the wonders of
Nature to succeeding generations.

I do agree with Donald that there is no merit in dummying physics down
to capture (pander to) a larger audience. One of my own children is a
philosopher. Because I am a physicist I can understand what drives him.
He feels the same vocation I do in his own field.

We are all entitled to our share of cognitive defects, and professional
myopia is one which should have been protected in the Bill of Rights.

Leigh