re: a slightly . . .

I rather like what Roger wrote regarding this topic and agree. I also agree
with the comments of Rick, concerning the holy grail of development of
conceptual understanding in the high schools.

Beth wrote

I agree with Roger that forcing a depth vs. breadth choice
might not be the way to ask the question, but I'll comment
> anyway.

I didn't mean to be posing the question as an either/or question; to my mind
depth vs. breadth is a continuum not at binary state system. We all
ultimately have to make a choice of where on the continuum to teach our
courses taking into account factors like, what will the next instructor
expect the students to have seen, what the students future profession will
have expected them to have seen, time available to cover topics, background
of students, our own position philosophically regarding this issue (which
naturally brings in factors that Dewey thinks about) etc etc

Joel