Re:Kids can't choose

Well, I have a group of high school honors physics (first year) kids who
need help: mine. They can't choose a topic for a 'scientific
investigation' though they have had several idea-generating worksheets to
help them think of something interesting to them. Now I am stuck with the
unhappy task of thinking of and assigning something FOR them. I had
thought maybe 3 of 29 would need help, but it seems that at least half
really are unable to strike upon an interesting topic (this speaks volumes
about how this has been handled in previous years--the teacher told
everyone to do the same topic, now they think I'm unfair to do it this way).

If you have ever thought of something which, to you, would be 'fun' for a
high school kid to do for a science investigation (perhaps they asked if
they could do something for extra credit?) would you share?

I've thought of things already, like

How do batteries' performance vary with time on the shelf?
Standing wave patterns on solid vibrating surfaces (sand patterns)
Fuel efficiency of a car, depending on air pressure in tires

Help! I can't think of much else at the moment, and, of course, time is
too short. Many thanks...

Does temperature have a measurable effect on time kept by your digital
watch? A friend recently asked me that question and I don't know the
answer. Perhaps your high school students could find out.

Jim Stewart
Physics Department
Western Washington University
Bellingham, WA 98225-9064