Re: Watts or Amperes

Why does it kills you when touching for instance
the electrode of a car battery? (12V & 30-400A)
Is it the high current the can supply or the
power? may be both thing depending on the quantity
of watts or amperes the can supply us when we touch
the battery?

My believe was that our body-cells get burned hence
power was responsible.

I don't believe that anyone can get killed with a car battery, unless it
is dropped on their head. I have read that the lowest voltage anyone
has ever been electrocuted at is 40 V. Of course, someone might want to
go for the records books and try killing themselves with a lower
voltage.

I have read that the current is what kills, but generally the current is
determined by the voltage (and other things, such as grounding, skin
moisture, what part of the body is in contact with the voltage source,
and even frequency of the voltage).

I have also read that low currents, say below 20 mamps, are
uncomfortable, and high currents, perhaps above 70 mamps (I'm going from
memory) will stop the heart altogether. It is the middle currents that
are most dangerous, because they send the heart into useless
filibration. A stopped heart may be restarted with CPR, but a
filibrating heart generally needs the "paddles" seen on various TV
shows.

Finally I have read that one should never conclude that an electrocution
victim is beyond help even if the heart is stopped and the victim was
hit with a tremendous shock, such as lightning. This is because a
massive shock stops the heart completely, and CPR may revive them
(though often with serious burns and other injuries).

Ken Kiehlbauch
kk@wi.net