Re: Kids can't choose, so I get to

Keith,

My three classes of Physics IA students are required to do physics
investigations during our second semester. After several years of having
them do their research and presentations individually, I now have them work
in groups of 3 or 4. Like you, I find that one of their greatest problems is
selecting a topic that is interesting, significant, and feasible.

Some of their favorite choices are the physics of sports and music. For
example I have had golfers research the relationship between the angle of the
club head and the range of the ball, tennis players investigate the role of
the sweet spot or the effect of the string tension, and soccer players check
out the effect of the air pressure in the ball on performance. Recently a
group of musicians built a wind instrument, explained the effect of its reed
and fingering system, and then take us on a "field trip" to the band room
where they explained the reasons for the sounds produced by various
instruments. Last year a group studied the principal of resonance and
succeeded in breaking a glass beaker by matching its natural frequency with
an audio generator.

I too would be grateful for additional suggestions.

Rosaline Secrest