Re: Friction.

Leigh Palmer suggests that the springs in a watch do not obey Hook's Law.
I'll bite. Why not? In my experience metal springs obey Hook's Law pretty
well as long as you don't get too close to the elastic limit. Watches do
of course vary speed somewhat with variation in the force of the spring, but
the speed is basically controlled by an oscillating wheel spring assembly and
an escapement mechanism. Speed is adjusted by changing the tension in the
hair spring that is connected to the oscillating wheel, thus changing it's
resonant frequency.