Re: Friction.

Just to add a couple over "experimental" considerations to the ideas
on friction. Principally, the "traction" is a more appropriate term in the
case of "dynamic friction," ie race cars etc.

Think about the case of a motor bike (in my case a ZZR1100). They would
not go round a corner if static friction was the only thing holding
them on the road. I believe that the others are right. One important
aspect is the removal of very small pieces of rubber, or layers. What
really helps a motorbike is that the contact area is being continously
replaced by a fresh area. That is what keeps it on the road far beyond the
point that static friction alone would be able to achieve.

I guess the short message here is the vital importants of the dynamics
of the tractional processes and the fact that the contact areas are being
replaced all the time.

Sandy

Sandy Yates / Area de Mecanica de Fluidos / Centro Politecnico Superior
Maria de Luna, 3 / 50015 ZARAGOZA. SPAIN
Phone: Spain (76) 761000 ext 5045. Fax: Spain (76) 761882
Email: sandy@ideafix.cps.unizar.es