Re: Friction

Regarding the question why racer car drivers use wide tires in the back
if "friction is practically independent of area of contact", here are
some of my thoughts:

1. "Practically independent" is not the same as totally independent, and
something that gives even a slight edge in increasing traction would be
worth pursuing in the world of high stakes racing and drag strip
competition.

2. Narrow tires would wear out much faster, since there would be less
rubber to wear away.

3. I believe that the large wide slicks are softer than normal tires,
and perhaps they fit into irregularities in the pavement, allowing them
to _push against_ the rear of the irregularity rather than just aviod
slippage due to friction.

4. In a drag race, the tires are warmed during a "spin out" just before
the race. Although I have no first hand knowledge, this may give the
tire surface a certain stickiness, and the larger the area the greater
the effect.

Ken Kiehlbauch
Faith Academy
Manila, Philippines