Re: physics experience

At 09:26 AM 11/1/96 -0500, Mike Monce wrote:
On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Dewey Dykstra, Jr. wrote:

One might still be tempted to focus on the notion that we cannot 'cover' as
much material by "the Workshop Physics" approach. To this I ask, why do we
have to wait until college to accomplish all this stuff? Much of this
could be accomplished before or by the 9th grade, but all of the teachers
come to the university and get taught the traditional way. But they could
be taught differently, yet *we* do not do this. In a better world, if we
choose to make one, I can imagine that students would have done alot or
most of the conceptual front end by the time they get to college and in
doing so would not only have changed their initial notions, but the major
lesson would NO LONGER BE that *they* cannot make new sense of the
phenomena. Now that I could live with much better!

Dewey

I think Dewey has found the core of our problem with the intro
course. We teach it as if these students already have had expsoure to
these concepts from high school and before.

Ditto - I recall in several conversations that Bob Resnick was writing the
original version of H&R with the understanding that students would come to
the course with a background of concepts and exposure to phenomena. He was
saddened and surprized by the response to the book: high school texts and
courses stopped giving students this essential background and started
imitating his book.

We need physics to be a part of American's education, on a yearly
basis, from an early stage on. Maybe our efforts should be there, then
the standard Halliday and Resnick course, even taught in the traditional
way, would not be such a problem.

I agree - The only way to permanently change the way physics is taught in
K-12 is to change the way we teach it to future teachers at the college and
university level.

Mike Monce
Connecticut College

Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * Pro is to Con ... *
P.O. Box 5005 * *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * as Progress is to Congress. *
* *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * - Anonymous *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * *