Re: statics first.

Do any of the older readers on this list have any knowledge or speculations
as to why this practice fell out of favor?

I'm older; I will guess that Halliday and Resnick became the model after
which all subsequent texts were written. Statics is largely ignored these
days. I often want to use the principle of virtual work to solve a knotty
mechanics problem. I can't because students these days have never heard
of it! I'll second Joel's question; where did we go wrong? How is it we
can have allowed such beautiful physics to fall into disuse?

Leigh