Re: force

The falling ball on spring example is a wonderful reason for developing
the clear distinction between velocity and acceleration, since when the
spring is fully compressed, the velocity is zero, and those who think
velocity requires a force will argue that the net force is then zero. I
agree that even physicists will do this, that is how deep seated this
notion is. A lemma t this misconception is that zero velocity implies
zero acceleration...hence, I think the surprise that the object has a
zero acceleration even though it is moving.

cheers

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996,