Re: force

I think that is the only way to go and in fact I believe that
consideration of forces should follow immediately upon that of
acceleration and precede things like projectile problems and circular
motion. It seems to me it would help in reasoning about the direction
of a to understand it as the result of an interaction and it
mystifies me why most textbooks do not do so immediately. But that's
just my opinion, for which I have no data in support.

When first introducing force, I prefer the causal approach: if you want to
know what something is, see what it does. But that too is inadequate. I
would appreciate your suggestions.

Rosaline Secrest
Terre Haute South High School
Terre Haute, Indiana

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227