Put Feynman on a Stamp!

Dear Friends of Tuva and Fans of Richard Feynman,

I hope this letter finds you well. In two years, Richard Feynman
will be eligible for a commemorative postage stamp to be issued in
his honor. You might think it's a no brainer that Feynman should be
honored with a stamp: American born and educated, an original
thinker whose impact went beyond physics to influence scientists
around the world and millions outside of science who have read his
popular books; a patriot who served his country in the Manhattan
Project and on the Challenger Commission. But no: I learned that
Richard Feynman was considered last year by the Citizens Stamp
Advisory Committee, and was rejected! Apparently, although enough
people had written in on their own for him to be considered, there
was not enough organized support for him to gain approval.

NOTE: I also learned that when a person has been considered and
rejected, the letters that come in for the next twelve months after
the rejection have little effect because there is a one year
moratorium on reconsideration. Now that the one year moratorium has
passed, I want to make sure Feynman is not rejected again.

Therefore, if you would like to see a Feynman postage stamp that
will be seen by millions of people in the USA and by stamp
collectors around the world, please follow these recommendations
carefully:

1) Write a letter (with an impressive letterhead, if possible)
explaining why Richard Feynman should be honored with a
commemorative postage stamp. (For those writing from outside the
US, it might help to mention that you, and many others like you
around the world, would be interested in a Feynman stamp as a
collector.) 2) Address the letter itself to the Citizens Stamp
Advisory Committee, but DO NOT send it to Washington, DC. (See note
above) 3) Address your envelope to: Feynman Stamp, Box 70021,
Pasadena CA 91117 (USA). 4) If you would like to be kept informed
about the status of this project, make sure you have envelopes on
file at Friends of Tuva HQ. I hope to send a mountain of letters to
Washington, DC by the end of this summer! 5) Forward this message
to anyone you know who is a fan of Richard Feynman, and who might
be persuaded to write a letter of support. Spread the word by
contacting friends, and by sending this message to any publication
whose readership might be interested in seeing a Feynman stamp.
Please emphasize that letters should be sent to Box 70021, Pasadena
CA 91117, so they can be gathered together and sent all at once.

Thank you for reading this message. Please respond to it soon,
while it's on your mind. A letter from you today will help bring
Richard Feynman's smile to unsuspecting millions around the world in
1998!

- Ralph Leighton (fot@lafn.org)

Petition for a Feynman Stamp

Please return to: Ralph Leighton, Box 70021, Pasadena CA 91117
(fot@lafn.org)

To the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee
Washington, District of Columbia

Fellow Citizens!

We, the undersigned, wholeheartedly support Richard Feynman to be
portrayed on a United States postage stamp in a denomination that will
reach millions of Americans as well as collectors around the world.
Feynman is arguably the most illustrious and inspiring scientist born
and educated in the USA. Our nation needs more people enthusiastic
about science. Putting Richard Feynman's image on a stamp will
effectively serve that end.

Signature ____________________________________ Date _______

Name (printed) __________________ City & State _________________

Signature ____________________________________ Date _______