Re: what to call little "g"

It has to be short. It has to be manifestly obvious what we're
talking about, and freshmen and younger must understand it. For that
reason I'm very uncomfortable with the word "field," for that's a
very subtle concept. As I said in my first post, there seem to be two
common uses for the symbol "g" that are mutually exclusive in
phraseology. One is the field strength (you physicists know just
what I mean, but our students will not) and the other is the
acceleration of an object in freefall.

John E. Gastineau

I don't see why this is a problem. Yes, "field" is a rather subtle
concept but that simply means that it is probably a good idea to
introduce it early and keep cycling back to the notion. It makes less
sense, to me, to wait until the middle of the second semester to
introduce a subtle concept, giving them less time to live with the
idea.

A parable: consider a field of grass which contains a water hose and
a grasshopper. The blades of grass near the hose will grow taller
near the water hose because they get more nourishment. The
grasshopper jumps from blade to blade through the field. The height
of the grasshopper depends on the amount of water coming out of
the hose. However, the grasshopper never has to know anything about
the hose because it only ever interacts with the blade of grass. So
the grass transmits the interaction between the grasshopper and the
water hose.

It seems to me that is a pretty good first pass at the field concept
-- map the hose and grasshopper onto the interacting particles and
the the grass onto gravity. I don't really see the point in putting
that off, especially since, as you note, the alternatives are
uniformly dreadful.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227