g: mea culpa

Hi Folks,

guilty guilty guilty;

I'm glad this discussion came up. I've been guilty of the "evil, bad
phrases" and its always bothered me and agree with what Ken said.
Particularly the part about how the discussion has helped sharpen plans for
the future. I'll improve my classroom language in the future!

Vote:

a sub g = acceleration of free fall

g = gravitational field strength

I'm a little uncomfortable using the "field" word so early in a course so I
would find "surface gravity constant" acceptable.

Joel

I think its great when people bring up pet peeves (even controversial ones)
on the list. they serve to sharpen my thoughts on the matters, which are
often ones I haven't given deep thought to in a long while. Thanks to
everyone.