Re: what to call litle "g"

John Gastineau wrote:

The other context is in discussing force, eg, W=mg. It always blows
away my students when I point out that g is not an acceleration
here. (In most elementary problems where this first comes up the
mass is at rest! there's clearly no acceleration.) It is the local
gravitational constant which has units Newtons/kilogram. Thus, I name
g in this context the "local gravitational constant."

I agree with John's (and Jim's) complaints here. I even like the phrase
"freefall acceleration" (although it is somewhat of a mouthful). However,
the phrase "local gravitational constant" is a little more unwieldy and it is
somewhat of an oxymoron. The concept of a *constant* is contradicted (or
at least undermined) by the modifier "local". If the word "local" must be
used, I think the phrase "local gravitational field" would be more accurate,
especially if the form of g is a vector rather than its scalar magnitude.
I personally prefer the phrase "surface gravity" (which is standard in
planetary science) for the scalar value of g.

Of course, when discussing the equivalence principle, one can just say that -g
(vector) is the local acceleration of the reference frame.

David Bowman
dbowman@gtc.georgetown.ky.us