Re: what to call little "g"

John Gastineau has written a nice evenhanded question about the local
gravitational constant (sort of), g. Let me try to give an evenhanded

Calling g acceleration is evil, wicked, mean, bad, and nasty -- and it is
pedagogically dumb and terribly confusing to students and instructors alike.

It is NOT acceleration it is a local gravitational constant = GM/R^2. It is
NOT on the ma side; it is on the F side of the equation! This despite the
wishes of the Luddites and all extant texts.

There now that was evenhanded, wasn't it??? Or have we hit one of my four
physics nerves?

Jim Green
Stamp out evil