Re: Ancient Greece

....according to Carl Sagan in the COSMOS series, Aristothanes hired
someone to pace it out. I wonder if he got a grant from the library of
Alexandria to pay for it?

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac/homepage.html

I hope this request is consistent with the purpose of this list. A student of
mine asked me about the early measurement of distances (the circumference of
the earth, distance from the earth to the moon and sun, etc.) I found that in
the explaination the distance between two cities had to be known - I think the
cities were Alexandria and Seyene. My question is - How did these people
measure the distance between Alexandria and Seyene? I think the distance was
said to be about 5000 stadia (about 500 miles). Thanks,
Frank