Re: E=hv Question

Hi
E = hv appliees to a single photon. Increasing the amplitude
increases the number of photons. This is ilustrated in the photo-
electric effect experiment. If the frequency of the light is increased
the kinetic energy of the ejected photoelectrons increases. If the
instensity of the light is increased one gets more photons.

If you are trying to carry this idea over to macroscopic ideas,
the centralpoint to remember is that you are dealing with a very large
number of photons and the variation by one photon "appears" to be
a continuous change in the number of photons. For sound and
vibrations ( phonons in crystals and whatever) again the large number
of phonons masks the discrete nature of the energy of the vibrations.

Thanks
roger haar