Re: Help!!An interesting acceleration graph

They are being measured by physically different devices -- a strain
gauge versus a numerical second derivative of position vs. time
information. I would expect the strain gauge to be much smoother,
especially at the beginning where there are few x vs t data points to
base a derivative on.

I may have missed something and therefore be off-base with this comment,
since I haven't directly dealt with this apparatus, but if this a graph of
force (net force?) and a graph of its acceleration, the two should be the
same (proportional to each other, actually) and vibrations problems for the
two the same. Did you really mean a velocity graph compared to an
acceleration graph??

Joel

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227