Re: Textbook Errors

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Jim Green wrote:
So here I am reading Joule's paper on the mechanical equivalent of "heat"
where he says -- "The apparatus exhibited before the Association consisted
of a brass paddle-wheel working *horizontally* in a can of water..." And I
seem to remember diagrams in Serway (p 529) and in H&R (p 548) which purport
to be the Joule apparatus. But as I look I see the diagrams have *vertical*
shafts and H&R has this silly egg whip thing.
Somebody tell me why contemporary texts can't get it right. (:-@

The paddles are moving horizontally through the water and the shaft is
vertical. Like an egg beater. The horizontal is best to negate any
gravitational input into the heating through turbulence. Sort of like
using AC current in the current balance to negate any affect of the
Earth's magnetic field. In a loose sort of way...

Look out Jim... Leigh Palmer might think you are sub-human if you keep
throwing those (:-@ 's around. Build a bridge and... [:-P
--
James Bradford Shue jshue@comp.uark.edu
University of Arkansas Voice phone:(501) 575-6059