Re: heat textbook

Hi all-
If I've sent this information before, I apologize. In response to:
Because many of my students were eventually going into engineering at another
school, I most recently used

Heat and Thermodynamics by Mark W. Zemansky and Richard H. Dittman (6th ed.)
This is a McGraw-Hill book.

I do to, and mostly from inertia. I notice that you did not flat out
recommend the book, and I can't either. I've got to choose again for
January myself, and this book (which is also of substandard physical
quality - it falls apart) will get chosen by inertia if I don't find
something better soon. It is also ridiculously expensive.

Someone help us. Comparisons to Z(d) & D would be very helpful.

Leigh
**********************************
Look at Whalley, "Basic Engineering Thermodynamics" (Oxford 1992).
It one my heart when I read in the introduction:
"Most textbooks are too long and contain too much material".

The book is based upon the author's lectures to first year
engineering students at Oxford. A colleague and I planned to use
it for a 1 quarter course in a community college (COD) for students
who had completed two quarters of calculus-based mechanics. The plan
was to start with the thermo chapters from the Olenick, et al "Mechanical
Universe" text (chapters 15-18) and then segue into the Whalley book,
covering about seven selected chapters.
Jim Green will no doubt hate this book because it makes liberal
(another suspect word?) use of the dreaded H-word, used as both a noun
and a verb.
Your students will like it (230 pp, $24.95 for the paperback).
Regards,
Jack