VideoGraph

From: prichey@venus.net (Tish Richey)
To: phys-l@atlantis.cc.uwf.edu
Subject: Video Graph

I am trying to use the Video Graph program show different velocity vectors.
Do you have any suggestions on simulations that can be video taped easily
to demonstrate velocity vectors or other suggestions in using the program.

Hi!

I'm not sure if you want to look at "simulations" or "situations." If it
is situations you are interested in working with, why not ask your students
what they'd like to examine more closely? I find they are able to come up
with many more ideas than I ever could. School sporting events are always
interesting. You can often go to sport practices, and with the coaches' and
players' permission, capture some great videos. Anything unusual is fair
game. How about the speed of a snail in an aquarium? You can also grab
things off TV (although you should normally only use them once because of
copyright restrictions). Cartoons are kind of fun to analyze. John
Gastineau had students determine the landing speed of a fighter jet on an
aircraft carrier through the analysis of a short clip from the movie "Top
Gun." In the back of the VideoGraph manual is a long listing of
possibilities from some of the more popular videodiscs. Since most
videodisc players are computer-controllable, you can use VideoGrab to
automate the capture process and really speed up that part of the exercise.
If you buy the VideoPoint CD from Pasco you will find a treasure trove of
interestng videos.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me directly,
either by net or phone.

Bob

Robert J. Beichner 919-515-7226
Assistant Professor 919-515-2682 (fax)
North Carolina State Univ. Beichner @ NCSU.edu
Physics Box 8202 http://www2.ncsu.edu/ncsu/
Raleigh, NC 27695 pams/physics/Physics_Ed/