Re: .Bernoulli and curve balls.

There exists empirical data on this problem taken in wind tunnel
tests which I believe is reported in the Briggs article previously
cited. It confirms a curve opposite to the direction expected from
the Magnus effect and the wind velocity at which this occurs does
correspond to the transition from laminar to turbulent flow.
Evidently, then, there must be some error in the calculation (though
I must confess I didn't catch it).

It might confirm a force reversing direction in a steady flow for a
mounted spinning ball. We were talking about a curve, however, and
my analysis dealt with a pitch, arguing that a reversal of the curve
could not occur because the ball does not move with constant speed.
I should have made it clearer that the myth I complained about was
the suggestion that the ball might actually be made to curve in the
opposite direction if the spin and speed were adjusted just right,
which is what I thought you were suggesting.

Leigh