Re: T#1

Thank you, Leigh. This is very helpful. Maybe I could ask the question
differently: Who first used the term "The First Law"? -- indeed who first
used the term "The Second Law"? Clausius and Kelvin were the first ones to
formulate a law, but neither called it "The Second Law" -- in fact didn't
the concept of T#1 come primarily *after* the comments of C & K???

The oldest reference I have to the first law by that name is in a book of
1890 vintage. It refers in turn to "Heat" by Maxwell, but I do not have a
copy of that. Someone else can have a look; I have to meet a bunch of
students to observe Moonrise.

Leigh