Re: profs

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:59:24 +0000 Trappe said:
Joel's suggestion of using Enginering profs to teach physics is closer to
reality than our smirks may allow us to consider. I suggested at this
summer's Professional Concerns Committee meeting of AAPT that this was an
issue worth addressing, since the summer Invited Session of the
Professional Concerns Committee was centered of the effects of downsizing.

Historically, Engineering Departments have rattled their chains and
threatened to teach our courses for us, but disdained the task of weeding
out their own students (It was more pleasant to let us be the unpopular
instructors). As food for the grist: Our Electrical Engineering School
admits 500 freshmen into the program. There are 64 slots in senior EE lab.
Something must cause 80-90% to "change their minds." Perhaps a Physics
course would do it.................

Karl

I have a couple of comments on this. First of all, I avoid hiring part-time
physics instructors who have their degrees in engineering (except for one part
timer who went back to school and has been teaching high school physics for 6
years). Engineers like to convert physics to their "own world" with different
symbols, etc. I think the engineer who teaches physics well is more of an exce
ption than the norm.

Secondly, due to the poor job market for physicists, it's a lot easier to find
physics profs (to teach physics) than to find engineers to teach physics. I
find it hard to believe that engineering departments would want to hire enginee
rs to solely teach physics (what would be the point?)

Sue Ramlo
Community & Technical College
at The University of Akron