Re: B-E Stats

Folks, wizards all:

Do those of you who teach junior level thermodynamics or thermal physics
include Boise-Einstein stats in the course? I assume the treatment of M-B
stats.

Last year I think there was a couple of articles about Boise-Einstein
condensation -- one in Science and one in the likes of PhysRevLett as I
recall. Did anyone read either of these? Is this a note worthy issue? Is
there something about B-E stats that is currently of any special interest or
that might require additional treatment in the jr course?

TX

Jim.Green@Snow.edu

I spent a couple of days on it in my junior/senior thermal physics
course last Spring because it was such a hot, or rather, "cold" topic.
(Sorry, I couldn't help myself...) My students were interested in
understanding what it was all about. In fact, one my seniors wrote a nice
term paper for the course on B-E condensation, and is now working in a lab
at Harvard actually trying to do it. It's probably worth mentioning to
show that there are some neat things going on physics, and it may lead to
some new interesting applications.

Dennis

* Dennis E. Krause Phone:(413) 597-3306 *
* Department of Physics Fax: (413) 597-4116 *
* Williams College Dennis.E.Krause@williams.edu *
* Williamstown, MA 01267 *