Re: Lecture Demonstrations

Nick writes:
The point is that the set
of printed works that appeal to us as professionals may not have much
overlap with the set of printed works that help students learn
physics. I stress to my students every year that reading the textbook
is not where most of their learning is going to take place anyway -
but that is cold comfort to the interested and motivated students who
look for insight and inspiration in the printed materials for the
course - as I did with Reif - and find none.
I _still_ hate thermo after all these years ...

Nick Nguilber's recent post on textbooks applies equally well to
demonstrations. It is not the subject, but *how it is presented* that
makes the difference.

I argued, at the time the work was presented by the U Washington folks,
that the lack of learning from demonstrations was *not* in the use of
demonstrations, but in the ineptitude of the presenter. Credentials within
the community do *not* make your presentation any better for the neophite.
This is true for texts and for demonstrations.

For the "classics" in demonstrations to get anything across, the presenter
*must* prepare. All too often, the presenter walks in cold, makes a fool
of himself in front of the class, and wonders *why the students don't get
it*.

In fact, if you want to see a faculty member pleased with himself/herself
(and therefore with his support personnel), just set up an esoteric
demonstration that tickles the fancy at a high enough level. But don't
expect the students to get the same thing out of the demo. A demonstration
that teaches the concept is not necessarily appealing to the amusement
level of the instructor who has been teaching the course for years. The
same is true for textbooks--and that should be considered in our adoption
process!

Karl

Dr. Karl I. Trappe Desk:(512)471-4152
Physics Dept-Mail Stop C1600 Office: (512) 471-5411
The University of Texas at Austin FAX: (512) 471-9637 (other building)
Austin, Texas 78712-1081 E-Mail:trappe@physics.utexas.edu