Re:.Bournoulli ...shower curtain

Paul Camp wrote:

...our book mentioned the shower curtain being drawn into the shower...

Didn't Jearl Walker do an Amateur Scientist column ...showing this had >more to do with hot water in the shower than with Bernoulli? Hot water >heats the air inside...and cool air convects in around the bottom. If >anyone is in the habit of taking cold showers, ..do us all a service. .

Ok, my bad. I've heard of or read the Walker article too. I should have
taken the initiative to check myself. Back in a minute...

....Just spent 10 minutes in an alternately scalding/freezing shower.

I first tried to get the curtain to come inward with cold water. No
arrangement of the stream--near or far from the curtain--produced any
perceptable, repeatable inward motion. The stream is able to push the
curtain out when directed so as to hit it directly. (The stream is also
able to produce severe shivering on the part of the PI.)

After about 30 seconds of switching to hot water (Ouch! Oh! Egad!), the
curtain began to bow inward. There was clearly a separation between the
bottom of the curtain and the tub wall that was not there before. (Cool
air coming in to force the warmer air up and out the top?)

Going back to cold, again after about 30 s, the curtain returned to its
original position. Several more cycles back and forth confirmed that the
effect seems to correspond with the air becoming warmer inside the
curtain. Thus the 30 s delay time.

I'm wet/cold/burned and going to bed. But, I feel like I understand
something a little better. What's my next assignment Paul?

Regards

Dave

--
* Dave Simmons <dsimmon@uoft02.utoledo.edu *