Eisenhower prof.dev.$/science & math

Last month the U.S. House eliminated all Eisenhower Professional
Development funds for next year. That is terrible for science teachers in
grades k - 12 because they need to update their knowledge and skills as
science changes and as teaching methods evolve (due to research like Dewey
Dykstra's and David Hestenes' group).

Ike funds have been the means to do this, through workshops organized
with grants obtained by university professors and also by school district
workshops. Ike money is just for math and science, not for other subjects.
I know of some excellent physics workshops and certification programs
around the nation that have produced better physics teachers using Ike
funds!

It's appalling to me that so little regard is paid by our nation's
leaders to the need for professional development of science teachers! Our
technology is built upon science. What do they think will be the future of
our civilization, if science education doesn't keep up its quality?

Good news, though: the SENATE committee restored funding. But the battle
isn't over. PLEASE call your Senator and your Congressman, EARLY THIS WEEK,
about this issue. Look in the phone book for their local office number,
and leave a message. It'll take no more than 5 minutes of your time. It's
worth it!

Or go to this www page which has links to sites where you can locate
any national or state legislator. I suggest you add it to your bookmarks.
http://www.zpg.org/address.html

Cheers,
Jane Jackson

I just downloaded the following from the National Science Teachers (NSTA)
homepage: www.nsta.org

"On Thursday, September 12, the Senate Committee on Labor, Health
and Human Services, and Education Appropriations marked up the
1997 education appropriations bill. The committee restored funding
to many, if not most, of the education programs cut or reduced by
the House appropriators, including the Eisenhower Professional
Development Program.

Under the Senate bill, the Eisenhower program would receive $275
million (same as fiscal 1996), and the Title VI block grant
(formerly called Chapter 2) would be funded at $275 million. In
addition, the Senate bill would fund Title I at last year's level
of $7.2 billion; Goals 2000 was reinstated and would be funded at
$340 million.

In addition to this action, the Democratic leadership in the House
is backing an amendment to be introduced by Senator Tom Harkin
(D-IA) which would add $3.1 billion over the Senate Committee's
funding for FY 97 for education and training. Of this $3.1
billion, $2.2 billion would go to Department of Education
programs. Although this is good news for the future of education
funding and the Eisenhower program, we are not out of the woods
yet, as the saying goes. Within the next three weeks--before
Congress adjourns on October 4 for the elections--the
appropriations bill must be voted on by the full Senate. That vote
is scheduled for the WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 23. The bill then goes to a
conference committee composed of select members of the House and
Senate Appropriations Committees to iron out differences in the
two versions of the bill.

The conference committee may not be able to complete work in such
a short time with so many issues facing the Congress before they
adjourn. Many legislative analysts believe that the Senate and
House leadership will work together to pass a continuing
resolution (CR) for those appropriations bills (including the
education bill) that remain unsigned by the President at the start
of fiscal 1997 (October 1). If this happens, education programs,
including Eisenhower, would most likely be funded at 1996 levels
until the CR ends.

WHAT THIS MEANS TO TEACHERS:

In the past weeks, we have been urging all teachers to contact
their legislators and ask them to reinstate the Eisenhower program
at 1996 levels. Now, even though the Senate Committee has funded
the Eisenhower program, the 1997 education budget is still not
final.

The future of the Eisenhower program is still in doubt. Because
the Eisenhower program was eliminated from the House budget, it
can still be a target for negotiators when they discuss the
continuing resolution and in future budget discussions.

We urge all educators to continue calling both their Senators
(TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE IN CONTACTING SENATORS) and
Representatives to insist on full funding for education and for
the Eisenhower program. Also ask your Senators to vote for the
Harkin amendment to boost funding for education.

This is not the time to stop demonstrating your support of this
vital program. Legislators must continue to hear from their
constituents (you) about why professional development and the
Eisenhower program are so vital.

Call today."
Remember this www page which has links to sites where you can locate
any national or state legislator. I suggest you add it to your bookmarks.
http://www.zpg.org/address.html

Cheers,
Jane

Jane Jackson (Prof. of Physics, Scottsdale Comm. College--on leave)
Dept.of Physics, Box 871504, Arizona State Univ.,Tempe AZ 85287-1504.
jane.jackson@asu.edu (602)965-8438 FAX:965-7331
Modeling Workshop Project: http://modeling.la.asu.edu/modeling.html