Re: Lithium Sunlight?

At 09:12 PM 9/16/96 -0700, you wrote:
I saw the program and my ears certainly pricked up at the mention of
lithium in sunlight. My take on it was that it was a reference to the
litium spectrum (is there one in sunlight? I would certainly expect so,
but am not knowledgable in this area). My first thought was, what a
crock! But, since I really like Sting's music, I'm holding out hope that
this is a poetic notion, not meant to be taken seriously - if I didn't
like his music, I would persist in my first opinion ;^)

I suspect there are some weak Li lines in the solar spectrum, but I'd be
surprise if they were very strong, since lithium is relatively rare.

I further suspect that Sting, great scientist as he is known to be, was
confusing the calming effect of watching the sunset with the calming effect
of lithium given to sufferers of manic depressive disorder.

Department of Physics * "The purpose of science is to get paid *
Randolph-Macon College * for doing fun stuff if you're not a *
P.O. Box 5005 * good enough programmer to write *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * computer games for a living." *
* - E. Robert Schulman *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * Ann. Improb. Research, *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * Vol 2, No. 5, p. 8 *