Re: What Flows?

Can we not say: "The dimensions are the same but the units are not."
In other words, the dimensions are in terms of fundamental measured
quantities (mass, displacement and time interval) regardless of what
units you use to measure those quantities. However, the units are
imposed by the specific measurement procedure you propose to carry
out, along with the associated units. Since torque and energy
measurement procedures are distinct, the units should be as well.
This then is why we give units to a dimensionless quantity such as
angle measure, since you must explicitly carry out a particular
procedure to measure it using distance measurements.

The bottom line is this: energy and torque have the same
dimensions. They can be given the same units, too, but
there is probably a lot to be said for distinguishing
them by using cosmetically different units.

Leigh

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227