Re: work done against what?

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996 jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu wrote:

Eugene P. Mosca says:

As an object undergoes an upward displacement the gravitation force on it
does negative work, but the work done by the reaction force, which acts on
the planet, does no work. (I am assuming we are in a reference frame in
which the planet is stationary.) In this case the work done by the
matching force is zero..

What if you consider the opposing force (rather than the reaction force),
i.e., the force which the lifting person applies. Doesn't that force do
positive work?

The work done by the force applied by the person is not equal to the
negative of the work done by the gravitational force, except when the
change in the barbell's kinetic energy is zero.

gene

The total work total work
done by an action-reaction pair is non zero only when there is a change
in the configuration of the system, and the negative of this total work
represents the corresponding change in the system's potential energy.

I think that perhaps this is how to define potential energy? Once that's
done, to consider both the potential energy and the work done by the
action-reaction pair seperately is to double count them; they are the same
thing by a different name.... I think. I get confused about the details of
this stuff.

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu

Eugene (Gene) P. Mosca Phone 410-293-6659 (Fax 3729)
Physics Department 410-267-0144 Home
572 Holloway Road 610-683-3597 Summer
U.S.Naval Academy Mailstop 9C, Michelson Rm 339
Annapolis MD 21402 email: mosca@nadn.navy.mil