Re: Error Analysis

What error analysis should Academic and AP Physics high school students
be doing? Thanks for any input.
Roger,
I sometimes wonder if college freshman are mature enough to understand
error analysis, and feel very lucky if I can get them to record answers plus or
minus some error after my course.

I have to agree. In my ten years of teaching error analysis to
college frosh and above, using a variety of techniques from lecture
to guided inquiry, few class members really got it. Using lecture
methods early on, I know that only a few students could use interpret
an uncertainty. They now have PhDs. Using inquiry methods, I felt that
I got the fraction able to interpret and really use the standard
deviation up to maybe 75%, but that took much hard work and time.

So, I'd be happy if students came out of a hs course unafraid of
using trig, willing and able to translate a word problem, and able to
pursue a statement (correct or incorrect) to logical conclusions. As
far as error analysis, as long as they realize that most of the
digits on their calculator don't mean anything, that's enough.

Of course, this is my own idiosyncratic opinion--I see no reason for
the hs physics course to duplicate the college course. The hs
course is preparation for the college course. From my college
perspective, if a student has this sense that his or her hs course
"covered" all the material, he or she won't pay much attention in
the college course and then lose out.

I have a related question about statistics in hs and college courses,
which I will post separately to avoid confusing the thread. See my
question about Curve Fit Stats.

JEG

John E. Gastineau
304 296 1966