Re: What Flows?

Jim/James:

At 10:46 AM 9/11/96 -0700, you wrote:
Jim Green says:

Heat does not flow.
Heat is not energy.

OK, so let's get back to the original question: Can energy flow? Or more
to the point, does it cause students difficulty if we use that terminology?

Well, this was not the original question, but...

I would not use this language as I "think" I have anecdotal evidence that it
is counter-productive. Light has little problem with it (I think. Light??)
I am willing to concede that this is a usage that is subjective. (Like
deciding on whether the rule for socks is that they should match pants or
shoes. (:-))
*I* think it is misleading, but I do not yell at the computer screen about
it. In reviewing a paper I would (and *have* on a several occasions)
suggest to the author that "transfer energy" would be more helpful -- and in
the case of

DH = kADT, I would suggest "thermal energy propagate" and "thermal conductivity"

It is "heat" as a noun that is a Hot (ho ho ho) Button for me and I think is
for Light, Mark, and some others. My suggestion is just not use the word,
That would clarify the thinking of student and instructor alike. (Actually
what I and I think Mark would really prefer is "do heat", but I'm not sure
we are ready for that extension to this discussion. Mark has already said
it. Mark do you think we should continue?)

Now, as I have said in an earlier post today, your second question intrigues
me a lot. How be we shift the discussion to PHYSLRNR and see if we as a
group can formulate a survey questioneer that would require only ten minutes
of class time to complete (for students AND instructor (:-)) to see if the
issue matters at all. Anyone interested? Beth you said that you would be
interested in a group proiject. Others?

In the interim, if you *are* interested (and please be), post or send me via
e-mail suggested questions for such a survey and I will formulate a draft
questioneer.

Jim.Green@Snow.edu

All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.