Re: What Flows?

This experiment was done on the space shuttle a while back and it was
observed that fuel not consumed during the initial spreading of the
flame burned sporadically thereafter. Since there are no convection
currents, the flame shape _is_ in fact spherical and a great deal
dimmer and bluer than a corresponding flame on Earth. The flame does
tend to oscillate a bit and, if you bring an unlit candle near it,
will for some obscure reason become asymmetric and rotate before
going out. Also, it is difficult to impossible to light the second
candle due to deficiency of oxygen presumably, the exact opposite of
what would be the case on Earth.

Paul, will you please tell us where this was published. I'm sure that
others want to read it as much as I do. Somehow I missed it, probably
by not reading the right journals.

Thanks,

Leigh

Sorry for the previous non-message -- hit the wrong button.

I don't know that this has been _published_ but you can find articles
on the Internet at the Lewis Research Center web site
(http://www.lerc.nasa.gov). The dedicated "Candles in Space" web site
is at:

http://zeta.lerc.nasa.gov/expr/candle.htm

I would have included that before but I was headed for class. I
spent about 30 minutes between classes searching for a picture
and there is a rather nifty one at:

http://www.lerc.nasa.gov/Other_Groups/MCFEP/combustion/pictures/9363761.jpg

which is also on the candle page.

You can find _many_ on line papers and abstracts of papers at

http://www.lerc.nasa.gov/Other_Groups/MCFEP/combustion/combust.html

These are mostly abstracts of internal publications which can then be
ordered from the Archive Service. Apparantly, they have been playing
with matches rather a lot.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227