Re: QM for sophomores?

This time, I'm seriously considering omitting most discussion of the S.E.
and mainly talking about the wave function itself and the conditions that
it must satisfy. Perhaps I'd state the S.E. without trying to justify it,
and spend some time on what it means for a function to be a solution to
it. Then I'd move on to the hydrogen atom, wave my hands a bit, pull the
quantum numbers out of my hat, and discuss their physical significance.

--
Jon Bell <jtbell@presby.edu> Presbyterian College

This is what I did in a recent modern physics class (albeit for only
one exceptional student). Beiser's book (which you have selected) is
very good in this regard -- I especially like the graphical problems
on possible and impossible wave functions.

What you might consider is following the course advocated in Arons'
_Guide_, involving extended consideration of the Thomson and Lenard
experiments, leading up to the Bohr atom. He has several suggested
extended assignments to lead students through the physics involved
that are quite good and tend to lead to several "aha" moments.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227