Hot and cold air vortex tube...

Greetings! Well, Christmas has come early for me. I got the
book "The Flying Circus of Physics with Answers" by Jearl Walker. I was
looking through it when a Ranque-Hilsch vortex tube caught my eye.
Apparently, when you blow through it, it seperates the air into two
parts. On end of the tube hot air (around 200C) escapes and on the other
side cold air (around -50C) escapes. From looking at the diagram, it
looks like a fairly simple device. Is it possible to make one using some
common household and lab equipment? Does anyone have one? If so, could
you tell me a little more about it?

I also have another question dealing with the book. At the
bottom of each topic, there are some page numbers. To what book are the
page numbers referring too?

Dwight
dsouder@ashland.edu