Weird question...

Greetings everyone! I was working outside with a fellow high
school physics teacher and asked a question that stumped him. I'm hoping
that someone can help me out...it's really bothering me. :-)

If you have two people that are 2 light years away from each other, both
on "stationary" objects. Person #1 has a laser and a rigid pole that is
just a few inches short of 2 light years long, almost touching Person
#2. If the laser is also aimed at Person #2 and you want to get a signal
to person #2, which will be faster means of sending a message (or
signaling him)? In other words, if you shine the laser at person #2 and
at the sametime push on the rigid pole, which will reach Person #2?

Supposedly, nothing can physically exceed the speed of light, but it
almost seems as though the pole would reach the person first. I'm not
taking into effect of any bowing, inertia, etc. The one thing that I can
think of that may allow the light to reach person #2 is the movement of
the atoms in the pole.

So any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dwight
dsouder@ashland.edu