Re: Tides (fwd)

Borland and I are trying to figure something out, and we need your help.
What do you know about tides? We know that the Atlantic coast has two
high tides and two low tides per day (day, here, meaning approximately 24
hrs. and 50 min.),

Here too. 8-)

and that those tides are of equal magnitude. The Gulf
of Mexico has one high tide and one low tide per day. The Pacific coast
has two high tides and two low tides a day of greatly different
magnitudes. Why?

Is this related to rotation of the earth? The features of the ocean
floor? Local Chambers of Commerce? You tell us!

Usually this sort of thing is mostly related to the shape of the
coastline and the problems associated with moving the water in and
out of a constricted area. Tides are, in the end, a resonance effect
and that is going to vary depending on the shape of the coast in your
area. Think of it as analagous to a set of springs where the spring
constant depends on your location. This is a great deal more complex
than the ideal tides presented in most books where the Earth is
assumed to be a uniform sphere (or at least covered with a uniform
spherical shell of water).

If there is sufficient interest, I could forward this query to our
physical oceanographer for his comments.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227