Re: NASA video catalog

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996 Raacc@AOL.COM wrote:

I'm trying to find an address for the on-line NASA video catalog. I was
given the address:

http://www.sti.nasa.gov/videocat/_cover.htm

However, this address isn't working. Does anyone know the correct address?

http://www.sti.nasa.gov/videocat/_COVER.htm. The last word in your
URL should have been capitalized.

Quick internet navagation lesson:

First I tried www.sti.nasa.gov/videocat/
I got "access denied" message, so NASA doesn't have index pages for
this subdirectory.

Next I tried www.sti.nasa.gov
This is the home page for the domain, but it is too high in the
architecture and doesn't mention the video catalog. It does mention a
"helpdesk" one could email.

Next I searched Altavista for "nasa video catalog" and got pages and
pages of hits on catalog subpages. (Altavista web search is at
http://www.altavista.digital.com) I went to one of these subpages,
found a link at the bottom which led to "table of contents," found
a link on the TOC for "Nasa Video Home Page", and arrived at
http://www.sti.nasa.gov/videocat/_COVER.htm. The last word in your
URL should have been capitalized.

All this took about 30 seconds using the Lynx text-only browser running on
a Unix shell. It would have taken several minutes using Netscape, what
with all the overhead from the 14.4k PPP protocol.

I'm a rabid fan of Lynx, it's blazingly fast because your PC is just a
computer terminal, not a real connection to internet, and the software
actually runs on some distant mainframe with a REAL internet connection.
When browsing WWW I find that I cover vast territory with Lynx because I
see the text contents of pages within 5 seconds at most, and this makes a
big difference when exploring or doing manual searches. Also, with Lynx
there's no hype factor since there's no graphics, applets, etc. If a
website is all hype and no content, when viewed by a Lynx user that page
will be seen as the embarassment it actually is.

If you hate TV and read your way through libraries, try getting hold of a
shell account and Lynx. You'll be rewarded, it's immensely faster than
Netscape in text mode.

I hear that an icon is available saying "Enhanced for Lynx."
;)

William Beaty voice:206-781-3320 bbs:206-789-0775 cserv:71241,3623
EE/Programmer/Science exhibit designer http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/
Seattle, WA 98117 billb@eskimo.com SCIENCE HOBBYIST web page