Re: The End of Science

Gang:
It seems to me that all this speculation about "The End of
Science" is just a little discomfort coming from a time of tight budgets
and tenure angst. Science and scientists will muddle through until the
new ideas that revolutionize science appear. We don't know when that
will be, but it may be that all this "End of Science" talk is a sign that
things are about to change.
I have been away and come to this "history" thread late, but it
seems to me that the history of science is a good antidote to the "End of
Science" talk. Since we are interested in teaching some of you may be
interested in the materials for teaching physics using scientific history
as a tool which were prepared 40 years ago by Gerald Holton at Harvard. They
are still very useful--although somewhat dated in some places.
Barlow Newbolt