Re: The End of Science

3) Isn't this the same thinking as in physics circles at the turn of the
century? We have learned all there is to know about physics -- oh yes we
haven't explained the thermal emission curve nor perhaps the
photoelectric effect, but other that these trivialities, we know pretty
much all there is to know about physics.

Yes - ironically notable in claiming this was Albert A. Michelson!

George, it would be interesting to have a citation for this.

Was there any other notables who claimed this??

Just because a person can make some interesting, and even important,
measurements, it does not mean that this person is necessarily at the
cutting edge of thought about their significance.

Dewey, your meaning is not clear here -- but mox nix -- isn't it reasonable
that there might be some "interesting, and even important" questions which,
upon careful consideration, will lead to a new "paradigm" -- just as Plank's
work with the thermal emission (a pretty humdrum measurement at the time)
lead to QM??

All, are there other times (other than Aristotle's time) when the end of a
science was assumed and the a new "paradigm" blossomed???

At the turn of the century, when the likes of Mickelson thought physics was
complete, were there any other "incidental" questions which turned out to be
as important as the above?

I suppose the aether (or lack thereof) might be considered -- but I don't
think Einstein even knew about this experiment. (???)

Jim.Green@Snow.edu

Hey, let's have some new cliches.