memory handling on a Mac

Programs on a Mac only get one chance to grab memory, when they
start up. Although how much they take can be user controled, it's a bit of
a pain, and people therefore usually have each program set to grab enough
memory to deal with the worst case.

Like others on this list, I want to avoid OS flamewars, but certainly Macs
are at least as good as PCs for both scientific and multimedia
applications.

So for other Mac users on the list, my advice is: install the software Ram
Doubler from Connectix and Ram Charger from Jump Development. Ram Doubler
reclaims the unused memory from each running app, thus effectively
increasing your Ram without resorting to slow virtual memory, as far as
possible. Ram Charger dynamically gives and takes Ram from each app as it
needs it. Email me privately for more details.

Carl <cem3@cornell.edu>
ps: I have no affiliation with either company, just a satisfied user.