Re: Macs with PC cards

I've got to get in my $.02 even though late. We have a 7100 Power Mac
with 32 Meg outfitted with an Orange PC card (486) with 8Meg but with a
minimal graphics capability. The idea was to have one machine which we
could use with our one LCD panel that would do either Mac or PC
software. I used it almost daily last semester but will switch back to
using a 386 machine this next semester rather than hassle this machine.
The graphics don't work properly running DOS programs--the colors
act-up in weird ways. Controlling the machine with a mouse is awkward
because you have to switch back and forth at time between Mac mode and
DOS mode. Basic windows stuff runs OK, but with a 133 MEG Pentium
becoming the minimum standard in the PC world, it just ain't worth it
to spend $1000+ for a 486 add-on to a Power Mac. Besides, the real
question now is WHY? Files can easily be transferred between platforms
and there really isn't any important software out there there doesn't
run on the PC and almost everything important is also available for the
Mac. Make your choice, but don't get fooled into thinking you can
really have a fully functional PC inside a Mac or that a PC can emulate
a Mac (although nobody seems to want to do this--a telling fact in and
of itself). ;-)

Rick Tarara