Re: Quantum Theory Text Sug

RE>>Quantum Theory Text Suggestions 7/24/96

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Mike Monce wrote:

If someone has a solution to this problem, I'd really like to
know. I'm teaching QM this fall, and after much searching settled on
McGervey, though I'm not especially happy. I found all the texts to be
lacking in some way or another. I was especially disappointed in
Griffiths new QM book as I expected it to be of the same caliber as his
EM book. I found it way too formal and better suited for grad. level.
I'm putting on reserve Liboff, Saxon, Griffiths, Goswami, and the
original Eisberg. I will tell the students to use all freely.

Mike Monce
Connecticut College

My considerably more favorable reaction to Griffiths' new QM book is in the
context of my having taught it to a class, all of whom took a modern physics
course and a linear algebra course the previous semester. The modern physics
course introduced many quantum mechanics topics and it used a more informal,
more experimental approach. These prior courses would tend to compensate for
the formality and high level found in Griffiths' QM book by Mike Monce.

Jim Peters
Hillsdale College