Re: population growth & physics ed

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Paul Camp wrote:

Also, there is a problem with making the stuff. Unless a practical
means is developed for using solar energy to crack H2O, you have to
electrolyze it using either nuclear or petroleum generation for you
electricity and then you're back where you started.
Somebody whose name I can't recall was working on a
solar facility to simply make the water so hot that it spontaneously
dissociated but I don't know if anything ever came of that.

Hydrogen and oxygen are the products of an electrolytic solution
involving sulfuric acid, where the acid acts as a catalyst. With a few
volts, water easily decomposes. It would seem that this could be
"easily" extended to huge designs with the use of solar.

Mostly, though, I expect the biggest reason is the enormous economic
investment in distribution and production facilities for petroleum.
Likely we won't change to anything else until we've burned all the
oil.

This is very disheartening but, if things get bad enough, the end of oil
could occur much sooner.

TK McCarthy, PhD Email:mcca6300@spacelink.msfc.nasa.gov