Re: population growth & physics ed

On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Dave Baum - Drew University Physics Dept. wrote:

Well, I agree. I grew up where there are no floods, few tornados, no hurricanes, the occasional small eqrthquake, but we get an average of 200+ inches of snow.
My point was in risk assessment. Ther is some non-zero, but also non-unity
probablility that your home will be destroyed by a hurricane.

There is a 100% probability that these houses will be flooded out.

Many years ago I purchased some land which is situated between the Platte
river to the north and Skull creek to the south near Linwood NE. Before
completing the purchase I asked the locals, checked with the county ASCS
office, checked the nearby weekly papers and determined that within
"recorded" and "remembered" history neither the river or the creek had
ever flooded this particular piece of land.

A few years ago in response to some developers/landowners upstream on
Skull creek, the levy was modified. The width of the channel between the
banks of the levy was changed from 100 ft to 200 ft and all bridges were
reconstructed to accomodate that change. Of course, for those of us
downstream the distance between levy's stayed at 80-100 ft. Now there
exists a great funnel effect as a stream confined to a 200 ft wide
channel narrows to a 100 ft wide channel at a bend in the creek about 3
miles from my place.
Yes, i now have a 100% flood probability whenever the hills to the south
of us gets more than 4-5 inches of rain. In fact three weeks ago a 9
inch downpour created a nice flood here, wiping out the levee, the crops
and leaving about 12-18 inches of silt on the land (along with about
200 trees limbs). While moving the silt around i had a lot of time to
think about topsoil erosion (mentioned in an earlier post), coefficients
of friction (yes my JD can get stuck and yes keeping it cranking as the
locals say can help), and wondering how many others "built" on solid
ground only to find that politics and a dozer has made their ground the
new flood plain.

Bruce Esser
Physics Teacher Something witty
Marian High School Should go here